Five Things Tax Scammers Often Do
As tax filing season begins, make sure you keep an eye (or ear) out for the latest phone scams. Someone claiming to be from the IRS may call you and demand money to pay taxes, or trick you into thinking that you’re owed a refund.
Here are five things the scammers often do but the IRS will not do. Any one of these five things is a sign of a scam. The IRS does not:
1. Call you to demand immediate payment. We will not call about taxes you owe without first mailing you a bill.
2. Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the chance to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
3. Require you to use a certain payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
4. Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
5. Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying.